Western History & Beautiful Public Lands Unite On This Tour!
This tour follows Billy the Kid’s trail past his most notorious hideouts, one at the Old Mesilla plaza and the other at Outlaw Rock in the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument. Outlaw Rock is in Faulkner Canyon (also known as Stolen Horse Canyon) where Billy and his gang left their mark, then back to Old Mesilla where Billy escaped from jail on the historic plaza. In Mesilla you’ll enjoy a delicious lunch during one of the Town’s signature festivals, Diez y Seis de Septiembre. Western history and cultural flair meet natural beauty in Faulkner Canyon and the Robledo Mountains Wilderness.
We’ll all meet at the Mesilla Town Hall parking lot at the designated times. (They do have bathroom facilities at the town hall). We’ll walk a short distance over to the Plaza to the old jail building and go over the history of the old Plaza in the days of Billy the Kid.
We’ll pick everyone up at the Plaza where we will head out to Fort Selden to walk through the museum at the fort and how it played a part in the days of the wild west. After a short drive to Stolen Horse Canyon, we’ll stop by Outlaw Rock, an ancient volcanic “plug”, which from its height, Billy could survey the surrounding areas, looking for a Sheriffs posse or an opportunity!
After a talk at the rock, we’ll load back up and head back into Mesilla to have a delicious lunch at Andele’s!
Date & Time:
- Saturday, September 17th, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (noon)
- Sunday, September 18th, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (noon) | 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Meeting Location: Mesilla Town Hall parking lot, 2231 Avenida de Mesilla, Mesilla, NM 88046
Participant Limit: 8 per tour
Age Range/Difficult: 5+
What You Need to Bring: Camera | Hats | Sunscreen | Water & Snacks
Cost: $69/per person ( Includes Meal At Andele’s)
- Meet at Mesilla Town Hall parking lot
- Walk over to Mesilla Historic Plaza visit the original jail house
- Get into the tour van and visit the Gadsden Museum (if available)
- Travel from the Gadsden Museum to Fort Selden
- Switch over to four wheel drive and travel to Outlaw Rock
- Then back to Andele’s for lunch/dinner
- Present other event and tour opportunities