The Mesilla Valley is a great place for UTV trail riding. We have trails for everyone from the casual rider to the experienced off-roader. Below is some information that will help you plan your next ride.
UTV Ordinance Summary
- Vehicle must have a 17-character vehicle identification number.
- UTVs must have one or more headlight and one or more taillight that complies with the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Act (OHMVA).
- The vehicle must have brakes, mirrors and a non-modified muffler.
- The operator must have a valid driver’s license as required under the Motor Vehicle Code or a permit as required under OHMVA.
- The vehicle must be insured, or its operator must have evidence of financial responsibility in accordance with New Mexico state law.
- The vehicle must have a windshield that complies with OHMVA or the operator must use proper eye protection.
- Operators and passengers under 18 must wear a safety helmet that complies with OHMVA.
- The vehicle must be registered with the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division and the validation sticker or license plate must be properly affixed to the UTV.
- The vehicle must have a special off-highway motor vehicle paved road use license plate indicating that the operator intends to use it on paved streets in accordance with provisions of the OHMVA.
- UTV operators must obey all traffic laws and speed limits not to exceed 45 MPH.